Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Night of Epic Epicness

Traffic was pretty bad heading south on a Friday night, but we still managed to get back into town at a reasonable hour. First off was dinner at Lou. We sat at the communal table with Laurie & Adam, a couple planning to get married in Ojai some time in September, and shared with them an order of pig candy. They later returned the favor with a bottle of rosé bubbly. I had the steak, as usual, which was delicious, as usual. Although we'd talked about going to get ice cream, our late start at dinner precluded the visit, with Scoops closing at 10. So instead, we drove downtown, to the Blue Whale Bar, site of the Global Architecture Brigades fundraiser back in February. I ordered a whiskey, and a raspberry champagne for her, and we did our best to sit through experimental jazz piano. From there, we were off to the Edison, where we tried a few more drinks, and she was impressed with the space, the vibe, and the cocktails. The whirlwind tour of favourite LA hotspots brought us next to La Descarga, the rum-heavy speakeasy on Western. The crowd was steaming up the bar area, and I mentioned I could make just as good a mojito at my house, so we headed there.