With errands to run on opposite sides of town, I found myself passing by Salt's Cure, which just opened today, with some time to spare. So I stopped in, sat down, and had a pretty delicious mini-brunch of home-made bacon (!!!), plum cobbler, and coffee. All of the above were good for their own reasons - the bacon may or may not eventually be available for purchase from their deli counter, and, being as they're within walking distance from my house, I'm tempted to discontinue my shipments from Nueske's in favor of supporting my new local meat emporium.I sat in one of two seats at the counter, which placed my in prime viewing position for the cooking, plating, and serving of all the brunch offerings. All looked amazing, and were prepared conscientiously by the two chefs standing before me, with the kind of attention to presentation detail that one sees in cooking programs such as Iron Chef.
My plum cobbler was, according to the pastry chef, a pie that hadn't turned out right. I disagree: the tartness of the plums was a pleasant reminder of the rhubarb pies my mother used to make, tempered with a healthy dose of sugar. She may have been worried that the cobbler was too tart, and I see her point, but it paired nicely with the savoriness of the bacon. I'm not sure how they make the bacon, but if I had to guess, I'd imagine a salt cure. My side order was a generous five strips, perfectly balancing crispness with tenderness (I wasn't able to resist before snapping the horrible photo above), and the flavor - well, you'll just have to try it.
The space itself has a tall, north-facing window wall that lights the space generously, with wood paneling over the kitchen's hood to tame the industrial stainless beneath. Get there early, as space is limited - but know that if you do have to wait, it'll be worthwhile.
7494 Santa Monica Blvd. | West Hollywood, CA 90046 | 323.850.SALT (7258)
1 comment:
...featured on Yelp!:
In neighboring WeHo, Salt’s Cure has Deane M skipping for joy: "I stopped in, sat down, and had a delicious mini-brunch of homemade bacon, plum cobbler, and coffee."
http://www.yelp.com/weekly?editorial_id=74PbPQ4ExxjAPSK87b9qGA
Post a Comment