Monday, March 10, 2008

Familiarity

"What does the BB&N stand for?"

I was at Walker Zanger tile, picking up samples for a project we're doing at work. Earlier in the day, I'd been helping to sand and re-paint a bench for another project. Having dressed up a little, I was happy to have brought a spare t-shirt in case something like this came up, so I changed. I'd almost changed back to do my rounds at the tile shop, just to look professional.

"Buckingham, Browne, and Nichols."

I swiveled around to look for Chris, who was helping me pick out the samples, but he'd gone into a storage closet.

"I used to live in Cambridge!"

She was an older woman, with horn-rimmed glasses and an accent I couldn't place. I was on my lunch break, and didn't have a ton of time to spare in idle conversation, but she wasn't giving up easily.

"It's where I went for elementary school, before switching over to Roxbury Latin."

People often confuse Roxbury Latin for Boston Latin, and she was one of them. I told her my dad had gone to Boston Latin, and she said she'd never heard of Roxbury Latin. Assuring her it actually existed, I politely excused myself and hit the road.

No comments: