Saturday, March 22, 2008

Pillowfight

Turns out there's a pillow fight every year all over the country - nay, the world. The Los Angeles event was scheduled for 3.00 this afternoon in Pershing Square, on Hill between 5th & 6th Downtown. Parked over by the Edison, and met up with some friends on the way. We were waylaid by a commercial shoot down 3rd Avenue - a gigantic slip-&-slide downhill between Grand & Hill. We were running late, and thought we might've missed the whole shebang when we saw pillows being carried away from the Square as we approached. Got sidetracked again by a photographer who was as dismayed as we were to have seemingly missed the festivities, and made us pose for a few staged pillow-fighting shots.

We were about to keep going when a clown from a kids' show pulled me onstage with her. Before I knew it, I was wearing a tutu and dancing across the stage with her, much to the amusement of the kids. Fun times. This went on for about four or five minutes, and she handed me a balloon flower and ushered me offstage. Craziness that I didn't see coming at all.

We wandered around some more, and saw the feathers flying. Into the breach went I, brandishing an old pillow from my days of spring break with the sailing team at St. Mary's. I'm embarrassed to say it was rather drooly. Caught a few feathers & pillows in the teeth, and had to stop for a smoothie on the way home to refresh. Pomegranate, coconut, pineapple & banana. Yum! I should pillowfight more often.

No comments: