I was describing works from this show to my friend Nick - cute, porcelain doll-looking girls with enormous foreheads, tiny noses, Angelina Jolie lips, and oversized eyes - and he was into it just from the description alone. Of course, the actual images do a better job than I - I snapped a few photographs, but don't want to be nabbed for any copyright infringement, so here's the link:
http://www.kukulaland.com/
The opening reception was nice - plenty of art to see, though we got through it all in under twenty minutes. Free beer & Dewar's. Can't really go wrong with that.
Most of the paintings were the same figure, usually semi-nude, in different settings, with various fantasy creatures beside her. I'm not sure if the girl in the paintings was perhaps an idealised version of the artist or not. The colours were bright, thought the subject matter had a dark sense of humour. They were playful, yet eerie. And somehow totally delightful.
Friday, March 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment